My PRK Experience – Part 9

I had corrective eye surgery done a few months ago so my eyes have already stabilized. The next few posts are my experience and will be posted weekly (hopefully) so that you don’t need to wait months to find out what it was like for me. The posts about my PRK surgery are based on the notes I left myself while I was healing.

April 22, 2015 – the most annoying day

The night before I had to use a very thick, Vaseline-like gel called Muro 128. It was gross, literally like smearing Vaseline on your eyeballs. It’s pretty gnarly. I kept trying to clean it away with q-tips but more would appear around the corner of my eyes.

My eyeballs weren’t stuck to my eyelids when I woke up in the morning but they did feel insanely dry and the drops weren’t helping. Then my eyes watered a little from how dry they were, I’m guessing this is what people meant when they talked about having a scratchy feeling. It was difficult to keep my eyes open because the blinking was uncomfortable but not painful. My eyes had also seemed red but after resting my eyes for a bit it seemed to go away. I also listened to more audio books.

By this point I wasn’t sure if I’d be back at work the next day since I was still having a horrible time seeing. As predicted, the FML drops were awful when it dripped into the back of your throat; it made me gag. 2 months of this. I wasn’t looking forward to it. I was told to chew gum to mask the taste but I don’t chew gum and the taste from mints didn’t last long enough.

I felt like a Class A Bitch with First World Problems this day. I could see decently with glasses before and then dropped a couple of thousand dollars for an elective surgery yet I was complaining about not being able to wash my hair or face properly. I had to take a breath and remind myself that there are people out there who can’t even afford glasses. I vowed to be grateful I could afford the surgery.

April 23, 2015

I actually did make it to work but had to move my computer screen closer to my face, reduce the resolution and magnify everything. Somehow I lasted the whole day at work but when I went for lunch I had to stick to places where I knew the menu. I also had to skip a meeting that was a 20 minute walk from my building because I didn’t want to expose my eyes to more UV light than necessary despite wearing sunglasses.

My lovely coworkers left me a “recovery gift” which was very lovely and thoughtful of them. Another coworker and friend of mine left me a card that made me giggle.


Go back and see:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5
Post 6
Post 7
Post 8


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s