My PRK Experience – Part 7

I had corrective eye surgery done a few months ago so my eyes have already stabilized. The next few posts are my experience and will be posted weekly (hopefully) so that you don’t need to wait months to find out what it was like for me. The posts about my PRK surgery are based on the notes I left myself while I was healing.

April 20, 2015

What a difference! The first few days the contacts were in I barely noticed them. But by the fifth day after the surgery my eyeballs were itching like hell and I could feel the contacts shift every now and then. No matter how many lubricating drops I put in my eyes, it itched like crazy. In university I wore contacts everyday for about a year and never got used to it. This was worse because I couldn’t take them out! Luckily the next day was contacts removal day. Despite the itching, this was the first day I didn’t have to rest my eyes by taking a nap because it was also the first day I didn’t feel like I had a foreign object in my eye. My eyes did feel super dry though and no amount of eye drops was helping.

I woke up in the morning pretty groggy then popped out of bed when I realized I forgot to do something urgent at work before I had the surgery. I had to email my coworker and I actually had to magnify the browser to 300% in order to see. My sight was decent for about 20 minutes then went downhill.

Early on after the surgery I noticed that my left eye was weaker than my right eye. The vision was blurrier but this day I noticed that my left eye had started to get stronger with only the barest improved vision and my right eye was now much weaker. Everyone who has had the surgery will tell you that your left and right eyes heal differently so you’ll notice that one eye has better vision than the other. By mid-afternoon the vision in my left eye had cleared up some and I could see close range but distance was horrible. In dim light I could see my iPad pretty well.

As for grooming, showering and getting water in your eye is still a no-no. The clinic advised waiting 10 days after surgery though if you Google it, other places say 7 days. I was told not to use swim goggles as that puts too much pressure on the eyes. I ended up laying in 6 inches of water in the tub to try and wash my hair. And for a woman who plucks her brows, feeling the stray hairs and not being able to see what you’re plucking is annoying. If you groom your brows, make an appointment to see a professional in a couple of weeks. Believe me, you’ll want to! My skin also felt awful from not being able to wash properly. I’m lucky to naturally have clear skin but I definitely felt like it was starting to break out.

taxesI’d procrastinated with my income taxes which, in Canada, are due April 30th. I really should have done them before the surgery but I didn’t. It was an awful idea to try and file my taxes because I could barely see and I strained my eyes quite terribly. They felt extremely tired by the time I finished doing the taxes which took a painfully longtime and was painful for my bank account because apparently I owed the government a surprising amount of money. Grr-argh.

After that nightmare, I went to bed.

Go back and see:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3
Post 4
Post 5
Post 6


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s